Japanese Studies Course

Health Insurance System and Compensation System

International students must join the National Health Insurance (“Kokuho”). If you find anything unsure about medical expenses, please ask the Office of the International Exchange Center which is located on the 1st floor of Somanouchi Campus Hall No. 3.

National Health Insurance “Kokuho”
In Japan, if you are not insured and get sick or hurt, the medical bills may be so high that it may make it impossible for you to continue your student life. Therefore, international students who will live in Japan for over one year, are required to join the National Health Insurance (“Kokuho”).

Application for the Kokuho can be done at the local office of your municipality where you registered your alien registration (at the National Health Insurance Section). It is recommended that you join the insurance when you go for your alien registration. If you change addresses, you must report to the Kokuho Section within 14 days of your move. When you return to your country, you must also report to the Kokuho Section prior to your final departure to return home.

The insurance fee may differ slightly depending on the municipality. If you earn an income, your insurance will cost more. If you have no income, by mentioning that when applying, you will receive a reduction.

When you receive medical treatment, or medical prescription, if you show your health insurance card before payment, you will only need to pay 30% of the total medical bill. The remaining 70% will be covered by Kokuho.

Comprehensive Renter’s Insurance for Foreign Students Studying in Japan

In order to rent a private apartment in Japan, you will need a guarantor. Japan Educational Exchange and Services (JEES) offers a Comprehensive Renter’s Insurance for Foreign Students Studying in Japan, which is a “Residence Comprehensive Insurance” which provides for accidents such as fires at home. It comes with a “Guarantor Compensation Fund” so that you can alleviate the psychological burden of your guarantor, allowing the guarantor to be more willing to be responsible for you. The insurance fee is: Course A 4,000 yen per year; Course B 8,000 yen for two years. You may apply and claim insurance at the Office of the International Exchange Center.